BTR-60 Transport Platoon (Plastic)
Includes five plastic BTR-60 transports, one plastic tank commander sprue, one Decal Sheet and five Unit Cards.
The BTR-60 was developed in the 1950's a replacement for older wheeled armoured personnel carriers and was first reveled in 1961. BTR stands for Bronetransporter (БТР, Бронетранспортер, literally "armoured transporter")
Designed to replace older open-topped APCs the BTR-60 was fully enclosed giving it's passengers increased protection from enemy artillery (and grenades). Unlike other contemporary designs where the passengers exited out rear doors the BTR-60 had overhead hatches for passengers to exit and then jump or climb down from. The BTR-60 was also armed with a 14.5mm machine-gun and coaxial 7.62mm machine-gun in a small turret that was operated by a specialist gunner. The driver (who sat on the left) and commander (on the right) were in the hull of the vehicle.